Volunteer With Us!
“When you see a child master the ABCs, try a new food or come out of his shell, you are witnessing something special. This realization is what keeps me and other volunteers coming back to the Educational Alliance. This isn’t a job or work – it’s an experience. When I think of my great-grandmother commuting to the Educational Alliance three generations ago, I feel so fortunate to give back to a community that has given so much to my own family and countless others” – Blog entry from a 16-year-old who regularly volunteers in the Educational Alliance’s Head Start program.
Make A Hands-On Difference: Join Our Team of Volunteers!
Volunteering is one the most important and rewarding ways to support your local community and help people in need. Volunteers play a vital role in the success of our programs and make a huge difference in the lives of thousands of New Yorkers each year. But the positive impact of volunteering goes both ways – volunteering can provide you with a great sense of fulfillment and make you an essential part of your community. Serving lunch to a homeless person, tutoring a child or helping a low-income teenager get accepted into college can significantly alter your perspective and change your life for the better, just like it’s changing the lives of the people you're helping.
Volunteering is beneficial to you in several other meaningful ways. Offering your time and expertise allows you to expand your network, develop new skills, find new hobbies and even advance your career. And, you might even inspire others to follow your example. Please consider donating your time and unique skills to give back to New York City and support those in need in Downtown Manhattan!
Ways to Get Involved
Our Volunteer Alliance offers many types of volunteer opportunities throughout the year. We welcome teenagers, college students, families, young professionals, school groups, corporate teams and any individual who wants to get involved. Below are some of our current volunteering opportunities. To learn more or download a volunteer application, please scroll down.
- Become a College Prep mentor: Mentor a high school senior through the college application process. Work one-on-one focusing on college selection and the application process, essay writing, interview skills, scholarship and financial aid identification. College Prep is a year-long commitment and meets twice a week, running from September through June. Mentors must commit to the full duration of the program.
- Nurture kids in our Head Start program: Engage with low-income children between the ages of 3 to 5 and help build fundamental reading, writing and math skills. Spend time in preschool classrooms assisting teachers in the day’s lessons; reading with the children, participating in arts and crafts activities, outdoor excursions and more.
- Serve lunch and socialize with seniors at Project ORE: Spend time with seniors who are homeless or marginally housed, socially isolated and/or mentally ill.
- Become a GED Tutor for Project Contact: Project Contact is our outpatient drug prevention, intervention and treatment program.
- The Mitzvah Alliance puts the Mitzvah into Bat and Bar Mitzvah – connect to your Jewish heritage and practice Judaism’s values, while supporting people in need and giving back to the community. If you are a teenager or a parent of a teenager who would like to volunteer, click here to learn more about this exciting opportunity.
- The Educational Alliance Young Professionals is our division for individuals in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, who are interested in making a difference and changing lives in downtown Manhattan. The EAYP hosts several volunteering events as well as social gatherings throughout the year. To join us, click here.
- Corporate groups: The Educational Alliance provides many opportunities for corporate groups to volunteer in various capacities throughout our programs. We are always happy to work with you to create unique projects that are mutually beneficial. Please visit our corporate volunteerism page to learn more about how volunteering can benefit your company and employees.
Please call Allegra Harris at (646) 395-4089 or click here to email her for more information. Thank you for choosing to volunteer with the Educational Alliance!