Classes start September 23, 2013
Here are some recent reviews:
* The New York Times, Nov. 14, 2008:
"For more than a century the Educational Alliance on East Broadway has democratically provided instruction, studio space and exhibitions to artists. Important careers have emerged from it. -excerpted from "Lower East Side: Art Shoehorned Amid Charm"
* The New York Times: "Suddenly, A Sculptor"
* The New York Post: "We can't say enough good things about The Educational Alliance."
* The Daily News: "The Educational Alliance Art School is not a typical learning establishment, so an open house is in order. With class headliners such as "Getting Stoned: The Tao of Sculpting" the academy seeks to lure creative individuals of all ages who might be tentative about expressing their artistic genius.'
* New York Magazine - "...I want to go back to darkroom photography here."
Founded in 1895 to provide arts enrichment to Lower East Side residents, The Art School quickly became well known for its stellar instruction and attracted students from all over NYC. More than 100 years later, we're still a lively, affordable community art center, attracting everyone from absolute beginners to experienced artists who want to refresh their skills or learn a new medium.
Among the artists who have studied or taught here are Louise Nevelson, Adolph Gottlieb, Mark Rothko, Barnett Newman, Jules Olitski, Leonard Baskin, Peter Blume, Chaim Gross, Alexander Kruse, Ben Shahn and the Soyer brothers.