After School Programs
|We're in the News! The New York Times featured Edgies Teen Center alum Christopher Rivera in an article about the importance of the Summer Youth Employment Program, which is facing potential budget cuts. Click here to read it!|
Educational Alliance After School Programs provide almost 2,000 kids between 5 - 17 years old with more than "a safe place to go" when the school day is over.
Helping Kids BE GREAT
Activities are based on The Boys & Girls Clubs' nationally recognized program and complement what students are learning in school. Classes and events focus on pivotal youth issues like education, leadership development, careers, the arts, health, exercise & nutrition (the fight against obesity), financial literacy, and alcohol/drug, pregnancy & gang prevention.
We also provide tutoring, homework help and a substantial snack every day. [back to top]
Awards & Recognition for Excellence
Many of our After School teens & kids have won the attention of national organizations like Boostup.org, The Charles Schwab Foundation, and The Posse Foundation, which has awarded several of our teens with 4-year, full tuition scholarships to college.
In 2009, The Edgies Teen Center's Christopher Rivera was named "Youth of the Year" for New York State by Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
To learn more about Edgies teens who have been featured in national ad campaigns or interviewed by major media outlets, visit the Press Room.
* The hours between 3pm-6 pm on school days are considered a "danger zone" by law enforcement and the National Youth Violence Prevention Resource Center.
* Our activities during this timeframe are based on The Boys & Girls Clubs' nationally recognized program and focus on pivotal youth issues like education, leadership development, careers, the arts, health, the fight against obesity, and alcohol/drug, pregnancy & gang prevention.
* 88% of NYC schools do not offer the state's required amount of physical education. All of our After School Programs have an exercise & physical education component.
* Research shows that students who participate in the arts usually improve their academic performance.All of our After School Programs have an arts & culture component.
Our Wait List Exceeds 500 Children - How You Can Help
If our clubs didn't exist, many of our children & teens would have no options when school lets out. But for every kid & teen we help, there's another on a waiting list that we can't accommodate. Learn how you can help us serve more children. [back to top]
Our After School Programs
- We operate 9 charter Boys & Girls Clubs in Lower Manhattan, in partnership with neighborhood schools and The Boys & Girls Clubs of America, as well a College Prep program:
- Edgies Teen Center
- The 14th Street Y
- P.S. 64
- P.S. 140
- P.S. 142
- P.S./M.S. 188
- College Prep
- School of the Future
- Tompkins Square Middle School
- Innovate Manhattan Charter School