building: Educational Alliance - A New Home
A state-of-the-art community center on the Lower East Side for you!
Building: Educational Alliance is a new, forward-thinking renovation project that preserves our historic flagship building's exterior while completely rebuilding the interior-- ensuring a new home befitting the dreams of everyone in our downtown Manhattan community.
Located at 197 East Broadway, our flagship is 122 years old -- as old as the agency itself. By incorporating visionary design and impressive space planning, it will be transformed from a deteriorating, inefficient community service facility into the Lower East Side's quintessential urban community center, to serve your family for the next century and beyond!
The center will bring you together with people of all racial, ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds to build community and create more opportunities for everyone.
Classes, Services, Programs & Events for Everyone
Your new state-of-the-art community center will maximize space for programming -- which means you'll have more offerings to choose from!
- more early childhood classrooms
- a comprehensive health & wellness center - including a state-of-the-art fitness center, innovative group exercise classes in 2 exercise studios, personal training, locker rooms, and showers.
- beautiful community space to host arts & culture events, performances, lectures, adult classes and workshops, ethnic and cultural celebrations, and other special events.
- beautiful new space for all ages including Youth and Older Adults.
Plus enhanced facilities for these existing high quality programs:
- The Art School
- The Educational Alliance Preschool
- Baby & Toddler Classes
- A new Lower East Side-based camp in addition to New Country Day Camp
- Edgies Teen Center
- College Prep
- Health & Fitness
- Art Galleries
- Whittaker Center
- Young Artists Program
- Head Start
- Early Head Start
(During the renovation, which will be done in stages, many of the above programs will be relocated to other buildings. To find out a program's current location, click on its name above or in our Program Directory.)
The new Community Center will have three elevators and a kosher kitchen. Its outmoded systems will be entirely replaced with a modern and highly energy-efficient infrastructure with the aim of obtaining a LEED silver rating.
The 22-month renovation started in November 2011.
Project design by Platt Byard Dovell White Architects LLP.
Check back for updates!